Resident Appreciation Ideas to Strengthen Your Apartment CommunityMay 29, 2018
Three New Hobbies That Will Make You a Better Property ManagerMay 29, 2018
Going green used to be just a catchphrase for a few environmentally-conscious people. Nowadays, green living has become mainstream, with the majority of Americans either choosing to live in eco-friendly homes or doing their part to go green. Many businesses, including apartment communities, are even taking the steps to become green certified.
Going green benefits everyone in many ways. For example, living in energy-efficient homes and reducing energy consumption means residents pay less for utilities. Efforts such as recycling and avoiding toxic products help to ensure that our food and water sources stay clean.
How can apartment communities go green?
- Upgrade rental units! Management can upgrade rental unit fixtures to be as energy efficient as possible. Upgrades might include improving insulation, installing energy-efficient refrigerators and laundry appliances, and replacing old windows with energy-efficient ones. While extensive renovations can be costly and time-consuming, imagine their ongoing benefits to your bottom line:
- Residents will appreciate paying less for utilities and may be more likely to renew their leases.
- You can attract more new tenants by promoting your community as eco-friendly, an amenity that is in high demand among millennial renters.
- Partner with other eco-friendly businesses! By doing a little bit of outreach, your management office can partner with nearby businesses to provide your residents with opportunities to enjoy green living.
- Recruiting an eco-friendly grocery store or restaurant to sponsor your resident appreciation events can keep tenants happy and raise awareness about better choices for the environment.
- Finding a local hardware store that offers a discount on LEED-certified paint and other products can save you money and set your community up for years of green living.
- Think long-term! New eco-friendly solutions for property management companies emerge every day. While the initial cost of installing solar panels or using alternative sources of energy are high, it’s a good idea to keep big changes like these on the list of viable ways to make your community a place where people want to live. Communities that feature eco-friendly apartments will gain a competitive edge in the housing market of the future.
If these bigger ticket items aren’t feasible, there are plenty of small ways your apartment community can become more eco-friendly:
- Declutter your office and use as much natural light as possible.
- Open office windows during nice weather to save on cooling, or heating, costs.
- Empty your filing cabinet and scan important documents so you have an electronic copy.
- Shred outdated records and recycle the paper.
- Provide residents and staff with easy access to recycle bins and make arrangements with your city for pick-up.
- Encourage residents to use eco-friendly cleaning products and consume less energy.
- Install water bottle filling stations in your office and around the property
- Convert the apartment community’s landscaping to an eco-friendly design. For example, cacti, aloe, and other outdoor succulents can thrive in drier conditions and with less watering than other plants.
How does your apartment community promote green living? Share your ideas in the comment section below.
Before you go, check out our posts on Property Management Technology Trends!
Want more info on effortlessly communicating with your residents?